Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Celebration of "Our Champion"

On Thursday, we attended a celebration for Jeff Durham. He was the husband of one of my best friends, Amy. He had Alzheimers for several years. He was a teacher and football coach at Forest Grove High School for over 22 years and then was Athletic Director in McMinnville and Forest Grove. He lead his football teams to seven consecutive league championships and was "Oregon Coach of the Year in 1976."
He leaves behind the greatest family. It is one of those families you look at and say, "I want a family like that." If I had to put a label on them, I would call them the "Fun Family."

The church was filled to the brim. Some of the people had to sit in the balcony and there were people standing along the walls on both sides of the church. Have you ever been to a service that lasted an hour and a half.............................other than a Catholic Mass!? The speakers were great and everyone was laughing as they were telling "Jeff" stories. They had a video of him and his family. It was one of those services that could have gone on all day because it was so enjoyable and heartwarming. Gosh, is it okay to say that a service was enjoyable? I know that Amy's goal was for this to be a "celebration" of Jeff. I know that is what I want.........people celebrating my life instead of mourning my death. I really liked what Rich Osbourn (he officiated) said at the beginning of the service..... "We are here to celebrate a special day; the day Jeff Durham was born!" Isn't that nicer than mourning the day he died?

We got to see lots of old friends that we haven't seen in a long time. We used to live in Forest Grove and Denny taught and coached there. Julie and Tori also went to the service and Julie saw some school friends and teachers she had in school. I got to meet Amy's sister and daughter-in-law. I have always heard so much about both of them so it was nice to put faces with names. And they were both pretty faces!

I just want Amy and her family (and that includes Doug, a special family friend of theirs and ours) to know that I think the service was the best and Jeff would have been so pleased. I can imagine him saying, "Jeez, it just gives me chills!"...............................one of his favorite sayings.

Love to you all,


JO

1 comment:

Team Immel said...

that gave me the chills!!! it sounds amazing. love the photos too. I can just feel how special he was, by your words. what a beautiful tribute. i hope my life is celebrated too, and not my death. thanks for sharing.
xo
shauna