Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Clown 'n' Around

I just looked at Julie's, our daughter's, blog and she wrote about my picture being on Leroy Siever's blog. I loved what she wrote so I copied it and here it is:

*************************************************************************************
Our Grandma, Super Star!

NPR Blogger and Morning Edition commentator Leroy Sievers was the subject of a Discovery Channel documentary about his struggle with stage 4 cancer. The documentary was produced by Ted Koppel, who is an old friend of Sievers and an ABC News colleague. Lance Armstrong and Elizabeth Edwards were featured in the short film. Mr. Sievers writes a blog for NPR.org and has been an inspiration to those fighting a daily battle with cancer. My mom has been following his fight and receives a daily email updating his condition. Several weeks ago he asked his readers to finish this sentence: "My cancer . . . . . ." Hundreds of comments poured in and some of the responses were published on his blog. My mom was one of them!! Click on the link below and select the right arrow to view the 'photo gallery.' I believe she is the 13th picture in; we are so proud of her!!! What a wonderful role model for us all; we love you, Grandma Jo!http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2008/jun/mycancer/gallery/index.html
Posted by Julie
************************************************************************************
Just in case some of you are not able to bring up this website, I wrote: "My cancer has taught me to LIVE each day to the fullest." I wore this clown outfit to my support group meeting. One of the gals in our group had her camera and took this picture of me. In fact, it is in the photo album that our group has with members pictures in it. I will have to admit, I am the only one that looks a little weird.
I had only been going to the support group meeting a couple of months and one of facilitators said that we could dress up if we wanted to since our next meeting was going to be on Halloween. Well, Shauna (my good bud) and I were the only two to dress up. There are usually about twenty of us there. But we were both glad that we dressed up and hopefully, we brought a little joy and fun to the meeting that day.

When I was working at Hillsboro High School in 1986, we decided to dress up for Halloween. I didn't have anything to wear so I decided to make a clown outfit that night. Luckily, I had the material. I finished it an 2:00 AM. Here is a picture of some of us from the vice principal's/attendance office. (MaryAnn, Betsy, Jan, Judy, myself, a guy doing an internship, and Rick.)
I think I wore this clown outfit to work almost every Halloween. This picture was taken in 2000 at Century High School. It is Linda (from the main office), myself and Kathy who worked with me in the attendance/vice principal's office.
I have gotten so much use out of my clown outfit. Guess it was worth staying up until 2:00 AM to make it!


Hope all of you are enjoying our nice weather.


Love to you all,


JO

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

jo....you are the best! very inspiring and how proud your family is of you......
it is a pleasure to be a friend,
mary etta

Team Immel said...

wow! you're famous! i'm so proud of you!! you're my hero!!! i loved you in your clown outfit!!! you brought a smile to my face and you do that, with or without the clown outfit!

i'm not sure i will see to at group tomorrow. i have to go in and get unhooked from my chemo pump and pick up my daughter from her acro class at noon. i'll try though!!! i'll miss you all!

xoxo
shauna

NanaCarol said...

You are amazing!!! Like Mary Etta said It is a pleasure to be a friend.
Love,
NanaCarol

Team Immel said...

hey, pass this link onto your daughter - this gal's an amazing digital scrapper!

http://sandekrieger.typepad.com/

xoxo
shauna