Saturday, July 26, 2008

"Sometimes Life Just Isn't Fair."

I hated hearing that Randy Pausch died yesterday. I loved his book, "The Last Lecture" and I loved watching him on TV while giving, "The Last Lecture." It is certainly one of those times when I find yourself saying, "Sometimes life just isn't fair."
And I hated that Tony Snow died recently. I was diagnosed with metastatic cancer about the same time as he and Elizabeth Edwards were. She said the following about Tony Snow's death: "And when he died, I cried. I know I cried not just for him, but—filled with fear—for myself as well. The diagnoses of our cancer recurrences tumbled out upon one another by days."
I have not heard how she is doing recently, but I hope she is doing very well. Again, I find myself saying, "Sometimes life just isn't fair."

I hate that Leroy Sievers (Ted Koppel's friend who he did a documentary on along with Elizabeth Edwards and Lance Armstrong.) is not doing well. I receive his blog each week day and he now has Hospice coming to help him. Again, I find myself saying, "Sometimes life just isn't fair."
Cancer sucks, but metastatic cancer really sucks. But, "Sometimes, life just isn't fair."


Love to you all,


JO

2 comments:

Team Immel said...

sometimes life really isn't fair. it's like living in a nightmare you can't wake up from. i too adored the last lecture, book and speech, and am devastated by the news of his passing. i ache for his family. for his wife and kids. for his friends and coworkers. he died much too young and had so much to teach us and so much to offer the world. at least he will live on in a sense thru his book and speech. at least that was captured for all eternity.

thanks for sharing and reminding us.

xoxox
shauna

Anonymous said...

you are so right....sometimes life isn't fair. i hate that you have met. cancer. i hate that johns brother has had cancer, too. i was just thinking today how...if we dont have cancer, we live in fear of having it. i remember in the 1970's working in the hospital with cancer patients and i felt then we are all just waiting in line for our turn to have cancer
take control of our lives. that was then and we have come a long way with treatments and cures. the fear lives on, tho. jo, you have been an important example to many of us. you have given us insight into living a full life in spite of the "dreaded diagnosis". that is your gift to so many of us. you mean way more to me than your diagnosis.....you are and have always been a shining example of how we are supposed to appreciate others and be the best we can be....i aspire to your example!
mary etta