Friday, April 3, 2009

Spring Break AND The Flu!

It is nice to be back to blogging. It has been over two weeks. We were on spring break last week and this week I came down with the flu. I know some of you have been worried about me because it is not like me to not be on my computer!


Spring break was great. We drove to Hermiston and picked up Dakota, our 11 year old grandson. He, along with Kyle (also 11) and Tori (7) spent the first three days with us. We did fun things each day, including going to a couple of parks that we don't usually go to.

On Wednesday, Julie, the three grandkids, Denny and I, drove 5 hours to Baker City, OR . We were going to stay two nights but the kids loved swimming in the pool so we stayed a third night. We changed motels the last night because it had a better pool and breakfast. Plus, we stayed in a room that had three beds! So all of us slept together.......great fun! We celebrated Dakota's birthday (actually, it is today). So he is now 12. Oh, boy....teenager next year! On Thursday and Friday, we drove up to Anthony Lakes Ski Resort (about 35 miles from Baker City) and had fun in the snow.

Kyle and Dakota had a snowboarding lesson and they were on the CHAIR LIFT.

Then they went down the FACE of the mountain! You can see how steep it is because it runs under the chairlift.Here is a picture of Dakota on his snowboard.
Here is Kyle on his snowboard.Tori had never skied. She took a one hour lesson and did great. She is so athletic and has such good balance. Here she is practicing her "snow plow."On the second day, she was even going up the rope tow all by herself! Now that isn't the easiest thing to do because the cable is hard to hang on to and you really have to use a lot of strength to get yourself pulled up the hill. Plus, you have to keep your skies parallel and in the tracks. Julie hadn't skied in many years and she was a natural on her skies. Plus, she looked beautiful in all her ski wear.


Here she is with all the kids right before their snowboarding and skiing lessons.

I took pictures the first day and helped the kids get their gear on, etc. The grandkids really wanted me to ski. It had been over 30 years since I had skied. Tori said, "Grandma, I will teach you!" So I skied. I also accomplished the rope tow.............like I said, it isn't that easy! But the boys wanted me to go on the chair lift with them. So I did. We took some awesome pictures on the top of the mountain and I just took my time, practicing my turns as we came down the mountain. I didn't fall once. (Hey, Kay and Rod. Can you believe I skied!)We had such a super week. We were glad that we got to have Dakota with us.


Unfortunately, on Sunday night, I started developing flu like symptoms. I stayed in bed for three days and kept on eye on my temperature. I went to the doctor yesterday just to be sure I didn't have an ear infection (not good with my low blood counts). I have some fluid in my ear because of my flu/cold. I feel about 90% today and was able to buy groceries and get back to doing normal everyday things.


I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend. We are suppose to have 70 degree weather! Yippee!


Love to you all,


JO

No comments: