Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Blood Test Results, CT, Bone Marrow Biopsy

It seems like a lot has been happening lately. One of my girlfriends had a double mastectomy last Wednesday and another one had one yesterday. Both are doing well. Neither will have chemo or radiation since their cancer had not spread. Yea!!!!!!


I went to my support group meeting today. It was nice to see Pam since she has been in San Diego for several weeks. She looks great and had on a beautiful scarf (she has lost her hair) and she had to show everyone how she tied it because it looked so cute on her. Shauna is still in the Galapagos Islands. This is a once in a life time vacation for her. All of us are so glad that she was able to go. If anyone deserves a fantastic trip, it is Shauna.


After my meeting, I went to Kaiser to have my port flushed. While I was sitting in the waiting room, my phone rang and it was my oncologists nurse. She didn't know I was sitting about 20 feet from her! She called to tell me that Phoebe (my oncologist) wants me to have a bone marrow biopsy. I think she saw the results of my last blood test and decided it needed to be done. Almost all my counts had dropped (platelets, hemoglobin, white and red blood cells, etc.) Most cancer patients have low counts because of their chemo treatments but I am not currently having any treatments and haven't for about two and a half years. I have been very, very fortunate. So I am scheduled to have a bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday, May 19th. That is the day I was scheduled to meet with Phoebe and talk about what she thought about my counts dropping and if I should have another bone marrow biopsy. Guess she decided to just go ahead and get'r'done! I talked to several nurses today and they all suggested that I have pre-meds prior to the procedure. I didn't last time because I didn't realize that was an option for me. Denny REALLY wants me to have them because he said it was terrible watching the biopsy. He wants some meds too, but too bad...............


I am having a CT scan in about an hour. I just drank my first 16oz. glass of barium. That stuff sucks. I will drink another 16oz. in 20 minutes and then head off to Kaiser for the scan. My last scans were good. They have shown my cancer is in remission and my tumors are so small that they don't show up on the CT scan. I have one every 3-4 months. So if I hadn't developed this blood disorder (or whatever the hell it is), things would really be lookin' good!


This has been a big day for me and it isn't over yet. Lots of medical things happening.............


On to brighter things. Kyle is off to outdoor school for three days. Scott went with him. Tori is going to spend Friday night with us because Julie has a Bunco party to go to. Both kids have games on Saturday so we will go to those. The weather is suppose to be warm (over 80!) This white body isn't ready for shorts, etc.!!!!!


Justin called on Mother's Day and they have all been so busy. They are in charge of the concession stand at all the baseball games. It is so time consuming. It is sure nice of them to do that. We plan on going to one of Dakota's games, just have to decide which one.


Tomorrow I am going to Janii's funeral. What a great lady she was and what a courageous battle she fought with her cancer.

Hope all of you are having a great week and will be able to enjoy the nice weather we are suppose to have this weekend.


Love to you all,


JO

No comments: