Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch and Ouch!

I had my port flushed and CT scan last Wednesday. My oncologist decided that I should have a bone marrow biopsy on Tuesday (yesterday) when I had my scheduled appointment with her. I was told to come at 7:30 AM, an hour before my biopsy, so I could have my pre-med injection. A half hour later I was to have a pill to relax me. So I checked in at 7:30 and sat in the waiting room. At 8:00 I went to the receptionist and told her that my biopsy was in half an hour and I still hadn't had my injection. She called back to the nurse's station and was told that it would be taken care of. At 8:15 she noticed I was still sitting there so she called again and an advise nurse came out and said that my doctor was late and my biopsy would be a little later. I was taken back to the nurse's station where a nurse accessed my port. It took her TWO stabs before she got the needle into my port. She then walked me to the biopsy room to lay on the table and she injected me with, I think, morphine. She sat by me (although Denny was also with me) to keep an eye on me. I can't say that I felt any different. No more than 5 minutes later, in walks my doctor, ready to do the biopsy. She stuck the long, huge needle into my lower back and then extracted some bone marrow (fluid). Then she had to push harder and deeper, to get into the bone area. She used something like a cork screw. Well, she couldn't get any bone fragment. So, she had to pull it out and go to a different area..........................THREE more times. That is why I titled this Ouch, Ouch, Ouch and Ouch. It took her four tries before she got a bone sample. I was squeezing Denny's hands like crazy. I'm sure the pain med had not taken affect. From there I had to go to the lab to get my blood drawn and the gal in the lab said that she heard I was a real tough gal! I was just glad the biopsy was over and I was really more concerned about the results than the procedure. I will find out the results next week.


I told my oncologist that last week when I talked to the advise nurse about my counts being so low, she said that I should be taking my temperature four times a day, be on a neutropenic diet (no fresh fruits, vegetables, deli meats, etc.) and stay away from sick people. My oncologist said to eat a salad if I wanted to and live my life like I usually do. I think my immune system is pretty strong (and it shouldn't be with my white blood cells being so low) because Denny has had a terrible cold for three weeks and I haven't gotten it. BTW, I had a huge salad tonight!


I went to my support group meeting today and it was nice to have Shauna back from her fantastic trip. She looked like a million dollars and said she felt the best she has felt in years. Oh, I am so glad that she was able to go the the Galapogus Islands.


Tomorrow I am meeting Amy and Carolyn for some shopping and then we are going to lunch with Julie D. and Eileen. Fun day.


My two friends who recently had double mastectomies, are doing great.


Hope all of you have a nice Memorial Day weekend.


Love to you all,


JO

No comments: