Friday, May 29, 2009

In The Hospital

Just a quick note to let you know that I just received the results of my last bone marrow biopsy. My oncologist called (so nice of her to call on a Sunday) to tell me that I have Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML), which is cancer of the blood and bone marrow.

Justin (our son) surprised us on Monday and drove from Hermiston to be with us. Julie (our daughter) and her family, Justin, Denny and I went out to dinner at Newport Bay that night. It was a nice family time. On Tuesday morning, Julie, Justin, and Denny checked me into Kaiser Sunnyside Hospital. Oncology is in the new wing of the hospital so I have a beautiful private room with a super view of the mountains.


I have pictures of my family and friends on the shelf and the employees love looking at them. I had a MUGA scan of my heart and it was good. I am lucky because my oncologist was the oncologist on duty at the hospital when I checked in.


So, she was here to help us make decisions about my treatment. She told us that my AML (Acute Myeloid Leukemia) was brought on by Myelodysplasia (a disease of the blood and bone marrow). Because of this, my outcome will not be as good. She thinks the Myelodysplasia developed because of my past chemo treatments. So all my cancers (metastatic, Myelodysplasia, AML) are all because of my breast cancer. Darn breast cancer!!


My oncologist said that I should be walking and expects me to get up and walk while having my chemo. We have been out walking outside in the sunshine.......in my pajamas!

Since my AML developed because of Myelodysplasia, I will be having an even more aggressive chemo than previously scheduled. My oncologist has been in contact with an oncologist at OHSU, who specializes in AML. They both think the more aggressive chemo will benefit me more, even though it will be harder on my heart, there is a greater chance of infection and I will have to stay in the hospital even longer than the scheduled 30 days. I started the nasty chemo Wednesday and will have it five days. I thought it would be given ten days, so I am feeling good about the reduced days. After the chemo, I will be monitored carefully to make sure my counts go up and the chemo did its job. I will have transfusions and IV's since I will not be able to eat because my esophagus will be raw from the chemo. So you would think I would lose weight, right? WRONG! The IV actually makes you gain weight! Now that's not fair! I am feeling strong and ready to "kick butt" with the chemo.
Some of you have asked if I can receive cards. Absolutely. I would love to hear from you. Please send them to: Georgia (Jo) Paola, Room 461, Kaiser Sunnyside Medical Center, 10180 SE Sunnyside Road, Clackamas, OR, 97015. Julie has set up a CaringBridge site for me. I don't think I will be blogging for a while so you are welcome to access my CarngBridge site at : www.caringbridge.org/visit/jopaola

Thank you all for your prayers, support and love. I am a lucky gal to have such a wonderful family and friends!

Love to you all,
JO

No comments: