Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Will Miss You, Etta

One of the gals in our metastatic support group died the first of the week. We had been camping and got home on Monday and I was planning on visiting her at The Peace House on Tuesday. So I felt bad that I did not get to see her. But I feel good about having spent some time with her recently. I picked her up and drove her to one of our meetings several weeks ago. It was right before she really started to "fail." Shortly after that, she went into The Ray Hickey Hospice House. I visited her there one day for quiet a long time. I thought she was doing pretty good. She was even at our meeting last week, thanks to Sheryl, her very special friend. I can't believe she was with us all on Wednesday and died five days later. I really didn't think she looked that bad. It is kind of scary. Just makes you realize that you have to live each day to the fullest. Here is a picture of our precious Etta. I was lucky enough to work several times with Etta on our quilt that is hanging in our meeting room.

Etta was from New York and I didn't know until today that she was at one time, an actress. I will be going to here memorial service on Friday evening. It will be interesting to see some pictures of her in her early years. I am sure she was a "knock out" since she was so attractive, even at age 74!


I will miss you, Etta. Thank you for being part of my life in our metastatic support group. I feel so blessed to have known you.


Love to you all,


JO


1 comment:

Team Immel said...

what a nice tribute to dear sweet etta. you were such a good friend to her to drive her and visit her and be there for her. and for all of us! she was a special lady and will be deeply missed. glad to see you on wed at group but sad it was a hard day for all.

enjoy the last of summer.

xoxo
shauna