Friday, January 9, 2009

Justin's JV's Win Big

I went to my support group meeting on Wednesday. It was so nice to see all the gals because most of us had not been to "group" for three weeks because of the snow, Christmas and New Years. I always look forward to going so I can see Shauna. We keep saying that we are going to get together sometime other than at our meetings but we are both busy. We keep in touch often through email and Facebook. Fern is again coming to our meetings. The meetings are so much better when she is there because she is a nurse and brings so much knowledge, wisdom and humor. She is doing well with her chemo and is feeling great. I am so glad. I took a friend of mine to the class. Pam was recently diagnosed with lung and liver cancer. There are several gals in our group that also have lung and liver cancer, so I think Pam really enjoyed the meeting. I hope she will continue to go because there is always good information that can help you with concerns that come up during your cancer journey. There have been several times when a new gal will come to our meetings and will not return. I think sometimes it is a little depressing and scary for a new person. But in the long run, the meetings are so helpful and really enjoyable. I love all the women and feel privileged to be able to go to the free support group.

Today I had my blood tested. I have it checked every two months because of my low white blood cell counts and low platelets count. I haven't received the results yet (they will be posted on my Kaiser website) but they won't post abnormal results so I know I will have to call to get them. I don't anticipate my counts going up anyway. I think my low counts are what is normal for me and my body has adjusted to them. However, I am going to my primary doctor in about an hour because my index finger on my left hand is swollen and probably infected. It started bothering me two days after I had my nails done. But I didn't have any hang nails or scratches from any the instruments they used. So I don't know if it even has anything to do with that. But because I have lymphedema in that arm and my white blood cell counts are low, I think I should have it checked out.....especially since the weekend is almost here and it is hard to get in to see a doctor on the weekend.

We went to watch Justin coach his Echo JV basketball team this week. It was so much fun to see him as a coach instead of a player. I was very impressed with the Echo team and coaches. The kids looked very nice on the court. They all wore warm ups to the game and during the game, they all had their shirts tucked in. They were polite and courteous. The coaches had coaching shirts on with dark slacks. They also wore warm ups to the game, like the kid's. The other team looked sloppy with their shirts sometimes hanging out and their coaches wore jeans and you couldn't even tell who the coaches were. They looked like some of the parents. I think if a team looks professional and nice, they get more respect on and off the court. Justin's team won big time. The varsity lost by about 10 points. It was such a pleasure to watch and I was so proud of Justin and his boys.

We are headed to Wilsonville tonight for Kyle's basketball tournament. Denny is helping coach. They will also play tomorrow and Sunday.

Hope all of you are having a great week.

Love to you all,

JO

1 comment:

Team Immel said...

I love to go to group too and my favorite part is seeing you!!!! Love ya!! xoxoxox

I hope your finger is ok. And I bet your blood test results will be fine. You are doing so good. I'm so proud of you and happy for you!!

Very cool to hear about Justin's coaching and team. I think how they look totally plays a part in the respect shown for themselves by themselves and others. Congrats to him.

My daughter's team has a hoop tourney in Canby this weekend!!! Too bad they aren't in the same place!!! Good luck!!!

xoxoxo
shauna