Sunday, April 6, 2008

Race for the Roses


Today I got up at 5:15 AM and headed to the Oregon Convention Center to run/walk in the Race for the Roses half marathon. It benefits the Albertina Kerr Center which fills the needs of Oregon children and families in crisis. Ninety-three cents of every dollar goes to the center. The Convention Center was a fantastic place for a base since we could go inside to stay warm and use the indoor restrooms. They even had coffee for us. All the marathon participants had to wear a timing chip on their shoe so they could be timed. There were several divisions for males and females. I signed up for the 60-64 female age group, however, don't tell anyone, but I was eligible for the Athenas (females over 150 lbs.) division. There was no way I was signing up for that one! We started at 7:00AM and ran and walked through some scenic parts of Portland. I had never been in the Pearl District so it was interesting seeing that area. I was planning on just walking and not running. But I am just too competitive and found myself running as much I could. When I was 50, Julie (daughter) and I ran the Portland Marathon. So I always wanted to walk it when I was 60. Well, I was heavy into chemo at that time. So this half marathon was perfect for me. And after finishing it, there is no way that I could ever walk a full marathon. For one thing, I don't do a good job of training. Denny and I usually walk each day and we walk hills. But I really don't do much running. Plus, I went shopping at Lloyd Center yesterday for about five hours. I wouldn't recommend doing that the day before a race! I ran the first three miles which was slightly downhill. I thought downhill would be a "piece of cake." But it killed my knees. The fourth mile was uphill so I started walking and running when I felt like I could. It felt like it took forever before I saw the six mile sign. I figured I was almost half done and it wasn't too bad so far. But then, my toes started hurting. Guess I should have taken off my toe ring and cut my toenails. But I am having a pedicure this week so I didn't want to waste MY time doing that! But I forgot about my toes when I became aware of a blister on my left foot. I decided I couldn't be thinking about these distractions, turned up the volume on my iPod, and just kept walking and running. There was another sign at the ten mile mark and then I knew I was going to be able to finish the race. My goal was to finish it in less than three hours. That is about a 13 minute mile. When Julie and I ran the Portland Marathon, we did it in 5 hrs. 38 min., so I thought three hours was about the right amount of time. I was walking quite a bit during the last 3 miles, but when I saw the finish line, away I ran. I even sprinted at the end. (Whenever I find myself sprinting, I am reminded of my high school days when I used to run in track meets.One of my friends, Sara Hill, would always beat me in the 100 yard dash. I could beat her in the 50 yard dash. But no matter how hard I tried, she always won in the 100. She is now working in the medical field and I don't think she would care if I won this time, my battle with cancer.) Each finisher received a rose and medal. They even announced your name as you crossed the finish line. There was food but I didn't want to wait in line, so I grabbed a couple of cookies. So much for the calories I had just burned! I wish I knew how many people participated in the run but they didn't announce it. I will be interested to read their website later to find out. Maybe they will have it on the news tonight since I saw a channel 2 news van there. I was pleased with myself for finishing the race. Now I, " have been there, done that." I really don't care if I ever do it again! I found myself saying that several times to myself during the race!

In my last blog, I mentioned that I was concerned about two of the gals in our support group. Unfortunately, Jackie passed away. What a terrific lady she was. I always felt a bond with her because she sat by me the first day she attended the class. It seemed like we always ended up sitting by each other. We had look-a-like wigs. Mine was dark and hers was light. At one of the last meetings she attended, as we walked into the restroom together, she said, "Do you want to see my hair? It is coming in gray." So I took off my wig too, and we compared hair. We had about the same amount.......not much! I also felt a connection with her because she was in education for about 30 years and has a loving/caring husband, family and friends. We talked about how lucky we were to have so much love and support. She had a strong faith and I know that helped her tremendously near the end of her life. I will miss her terribly but feel so fortunate to have had her in my life, even if it was for a short time.

The other gal, Penny, is out of ICU and it sounds like she is doing good. She will be in the hospital for several more days so I hope to visit her this week. Carolyn, another gal in the group, has offered to have Penny stay with her so she can take care of her while she is recovering. I just can't believe how wonderful the women are in our support group.

Hope all of you are having a wonderful weekend.

Love to you all,

JO

2 comments:

Julie said...

Awesome job, Mom! You are such a great athlete and Tori, Kyle, Scott and I are so proud of you for kicking some cancer butt @ the race. As Tori said, "you rock, Grandma Jo." Congrats on a race well run!!! On to the next . . . . . . .

Team Immel said...

you are a rockstar jo!!!! i'm so proud of you! thanks for inspiring us!!!
xoxox
shauna