Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bone Marrow Biopsy & CALIFORNIA

I had my bone marrow biopsy yesterday and it went well. We had to be there by 8:00 am and we got right in, since I think I was her first patient. I didn't have any pre meds because my oncologist said they really don't help much with the pain but might help someone that is all "keyed" up with anxiety. She gave me a shot to deaden the skin and she went to work! It hurt but really not as bad as I had expected. I squeezed Denny's hand real often. He said he is NEVER having a bone marrow biopsy since he has now seen one! I will get the results when I see her on Monday or she might call me if she gets them sooner. I am feeling so good that I am going to be surprised and disappointed if the results are not good.

Now on to the fun stuff........my trip with Jan to San Diego. Lindsay, her daughter, lives there so we were able to stay at her place, which is about 5 blocks from the beach and a couple of blocks from the stores and restaurants. Her friend, Kristin, owns the townhouse and it is fantastic.


Jan drove me around and showed my lots of fun places to visit, like the Hotel Del Coronado. What a super and expensive place.
We went to Mission Beach and had a two hour bike ride along the water front. It was awesome. What a wonderful way to see everything while also getting some exercise. Lindsay had to work but met us for coffee before our "bike tour." Here is a picture of Kristin, Lindsay, Jan and myself. Isn't it hard to pick out the two hot babes from San Diego?!

Jan said that she had a surprise for me. I thought maybe it was that we were going on a "brunch cruise" but it was far better than that. We were going to DISNEYLAND!

Jan's daughter-in-law had a conference in Anaheim and decided at the last minute to have her husband and 4 year old son go along. Since we were going to be near there, Jan decided it would be fun for us to join them. Of course, Jan's husband, couldn't miss out on their grandson's first visit to Disneyland, so he also went. Here is a picture of their family. It has been over 32 years since I have been to Disneyland so it was pretty over whelming to see all the new things. California Adventures is also awesome. We spent the entire day going between those two places. In fact, I had almost 30,000 steps on my pedometer! There are just as many rides for adults as there are for kids. I can't wait to go back with my grandkids and kids. Actually, Julie had a trip planned for all of us a couple of years ago, but I wasn't doing real well with my cancer at that time, so we cancelled our plans. I like to set goals for myself, and my goal now is to go there again with my family.

I am so lucky to have such a special friend, Jan, that shares her family and their fun times with me. They always make me feel so welcome and I love them all.

The day we got home, I went to the Carrie Underwood concert with Denny, Scott and Julie. It was fantastic. She sang for two hours straight. She is so beautiful and acts like such a normal person. Thanks, Julie, for getting the tickets so many months ago.

Today I went to my support group meeting and it was so nice to see three of the gals there that hadn't been there for a long time. Of course, it is always such a treat to sit by Shauna. She bought me a pink tee shirt while she was in Seattle and on the front of it is written,"Fight Like A Girl," and it has the breast cancer insignia on it. I love it. Thanks, Shauna.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our son-in-law, Scott. Love you!

Hope all of you are having a great week. Bet none of you have had as much fun as I have the past few days (San Diego, Disneyland, Carrie Underwood concert). But then, I bet none of you have had a bone marrow biopsy, either! I WIN!

Love to you all,

JO

3 comments:

Team Immel said...

winner winner chicken dinner!!! lol! yep, you win! by far!

loved the photos. you all look fabulous!!! wow! what hot babes you all are!

so excited you got to go to d-land! and i rowed crew for ucla and we used to raise in mission beach!

you sound like you had so much fun. i love that you had so much living in such a short amount of time! live it up i say!

it was nice to see all the old faces in group today. and i'm glad you liked your shirt. it's the least i could do for you. thanks for the chocolate and mints from d-land! what a treat!

here's to good biopsy results!
cheers!
xoxox
Shauna

Anonymous said...

what a great california trip. you are very right about having those great friends and their families. you have a pretty special family of your own, too. and what about the 30,000 steps? pretty spectacular from my seat on the couch.....i gotta get one of those pedometers. where the heck do you get that energy, girl? glad the biopsy was uneventful....sorryit hurt, tho. at least its over. im thinkin good thoughts for your results.....
thanks for sharing, i almost feel like i went to california,
mary etta

NanaCarol said...

That's right "Fight Like A Girl" cause girls rock. What a fun time you had. You need to bring the girls down to Burbank so we can do the hollywood thing. I can house about 4. When you get tired of rain arrange a trip down here.
Love
Carol